The Copart IT Department was named the winner of a bronze Stevie Award as the Information Technology Department of the Year in the 15th Annual International Business Awards on August 8, 2018.
More than 3,900 nominations from organizations of all sizes and industries were submitted this year for consideration. Stevie Award winners were determined by the average scores of more than 270 executives worldwide who participated on 12 juries. View the full list of winners here.
This award commemorates all the passion and hard work that IT Team dedicates to Copart. Overall, the IT Department has increased Copart’s revenues from $1.2 billion to $1.7 billion and increased Copart’s inventory by 150,000 units while maintaining a flat budget of $60 million with no increase at all.
The IT Department’s mission to Copart is:
- Keep all systems running smoothly, especially auctions.
- Continually enhance systems and add new business capabilities through projects.
All projects are in support of the above mission and try to address one or more of the following business objectives:
- Obtain more cars from the Sellers
- Increase the Average Selling Price vehicles in auctions
- Decrease the average processing cost to each vehicle
Since 2015, the IT Department has completely transformed into a high-performance powerhouse. The team completed over 200 projects since January 2017 (the judging period). However, these three projects stand out because of their impact on the company and the environment.
- Single Code-base Worldwide: The IT team launched all buyer-facing websites and brands globally under one single code-base. This multi-brand, multi-currency, multi-language single code-base has made Copart nimble, decreased costs and is 10X faster.
- Digitization: Copart aims to be an environmentally responsible company. However, in the automotive industry, there is often a lot of associated paperwork. The IT Department resolved this issue by digitizing operations in car lots and eliminating paperwork. From picking up the car at the site of the accident, to finally loading the car on a buyer’s tow truck, Copart IT has completely digitized the entire process by integrating smartphones, tablets and web applications. This implementation has not only made the operations at Copart much easier, but it has also helped our efforts to be more environmentally responsible. Additionally, this makes real-time information accessible to the company, buyers, and sellers.
- Globalization: The IT Department has expanded Copart’s global presence by launching into new European markets. The new, modular systems allow Copart to reach new markets in Europe. Because of the modular architecture of this new system, the IT Department was able to modify the systems to meet the stricter legal requirements of privacy and the various local taxes.
Other notable projects include:
- Improved reliability of systems from 99.27% to 99.9%.
- Grew a high-performance IT Team by 55% over 18 months.
- Redesigned vehicle imaging process to reduce process times by 50%.
- Created a paperless workplace through the new mobile app, eliminating thousands of sheets of paper per day.
- Increased Global Data Center capacity by 100% while reducing costs by $1M/year.
- Modernized the legacy payment system processing $135 million a year in transactions by using the new mobile application, resulting in improved security and performance.
- Developed a real-time analytics dashboard to enable data-driven decisions in minutes, not hours or days.
- Increased customer engagement through a custom product recommendation engine.
- Doubled bandwidth and upgraded infrastructure at more than 200 locations globally
The IT Department is a valuable asset to Copart and we cannot thank them enough for all that they have done. Well done, IT Team!